Sunday, August 12, 2012

A Strange Fire by L.H. Cosway

A Strange Fire




Goodreads summary: Flo has always had problems. Her stammer prevents her speech and her dad’s abuse makes her life a living hell. Not to mention she sees colours other people don’t.

When her dad decides to ship her off to live with her grandma in the sleepy town of Chesterport, Flo thinks that this is her chance for a better life. But on her very first day at her new school she is ridiculed and laughed at for having a stammer. One student sticks up for her and his name is Frank.

Frank’s body is surrounded by an aura of fire, but Flo is the only one who can see it. He lives in a foster home for troubled teenagers. Flo is drawn to him because he’s different and so is she.

Things are about to get scary, because Chesterport is not your ordinary suburban town. It’s infested by a coven of dark witches who prey on the young and the elderly. Soon Flo discovers that she’s next on their list of victims, and finds herself fighting a battle she never would have imagined possible.

Review!


Before I start with my review, I would love to thank the author for providing me a free copy for an honest review.

Hmm... A Strange Fire, hm, where shall I start?

description

I could not read this book in one sitting. I just could not! I'm actually surprised it took me two weeks to read it. I think it's both my fault and the book's. Why my fault? 1.) Exam week! 2.) Assignments, quizzes, projects, case studies 3.) Sleep! 4.) Fiesta week preparations. Why the book's fault? 1.) It didn't capture my interest right away. 2.) Shut up, Flo!

The creep factor in this book is a 4/10 for me. Yes, there was cannibalism, effing witches, and mysterious murders, but none of them really made me feel any goose pimples or the shakes.

Mystery factor? 7/10! But when the mystery was revealed, I felt too much info was dumped on me that the mystery became less fun and I started not caring anymore.

I did not like how the author described the characters to the reader. Once, I thought it was part of Flo's powers, but I realized it wasn't. Info dump much? The author described the character's by their facial features, which is alright, but then she also added the age and whatnot, which seemed out of place at times and just set the mood off of the story. So yeah, too much info can really lead to awkwardness. Try to tame the description a little, okay?

The story?


description

I... I.... really have nothing to say much about A Strange Fire. I mean, it is unique with all the mood-detecting-power and cannibal witches, but it just did not suck me in from the first page to the last. When it ended, I thought, "Um, okay, uh, how am I going to review this?" The story didn't really stick to my mind, like it was just another book that I will surely forget and not bother to remember.

The characters?


description

Flo is just really awkward and kind of whiny. But if she were real, I wouldn't mind befriending her. Is she a strong type of character? Uh, I think, I guess, maybe? I think she's trying to be too strong that it seems like she is a weak character.

Frank is a very good-looking, horny teen. As in horny with a capital H, O, R, N, and Y! It's like he's always ready to jump on Flo. If I were left in a room alone with Frank, I think I should be very afraid and be on guard all the time. I would not want him to be my boyfriend, maybe just a friend, but not a boyfriend. What I liked about him is that he genuinely cares for Flo and really protects her. One thing I liked about this book is that it's the boy who's head over heels in love and stalker-ish, and not the other way around.

Overall thought?


description

Uh, it's okay. I would recommend it, but not recommend it like I'm some sort of advertiser or promoter. But I really thought, from the moment I read the summary, that I was going to have fun and an adventure. The book disappointed me a little. Flo didn't like discussing her feelings, which hindered me from having any emotional connection with her.

Rating


0 comments:

Post a Comment